Non-Disciplinary Options

Individuals who feel that they have experienced sexual misconduct have many reporting options, including pursuing an internal complaint, filing a criminal complaint, and/or reporting anonymously

However, some individuals may choose not to pursue formal reporting options.  This page provides information for individuals who seek support and alternative options, but who do not wish to pursue formal disciplinary or criminal action at this time.

Resources and Accommodations

Even if an individual does not wish to pursue formal disciplinary or criminal action at this time, they are still able to obtain the resources and accommodations described here in further detail. These include:

  • Access to counseling services and assistance in arranging an initial appointment;
  • Rescheduling of exams and assignments;
  • Change in class schedule, including the ability to transfer course sections or withdraw from a course;
  • Change in work schedule or job assignment;
  • Change in campus housing;
  • Providing medical services;
  • Imposition of an on-campus “no contact order," an administrative remedy designed to curtail contact and communications between two or more individuals; and/or
  • Any other measure that can be used to achieve the goals of this policy.

In addition, an individual may request a No Communication Order or a No Contact Order, which mutually limit the communications or contact (proximity) between two parties for a limited period of time.  Such Orders are intended to forestall future problematic interactions, and help to ensure an environment in which individuals can focus on and pursue their education and/or work.  For detailed information regarding the Orders, please see No Communication and No Contact Orders.

The Office of Gender Equity and Title IX Administration is available to discuss these resources and accommodations, even if an individual chooses not to proceed with formal disciplinary action at this time.  For more information, please contact Director of Gender Equity and Title IX Administration Regan Crotty ( and/or see Rights, Rules, Responsibilities section 1.3.9.  Requests for resources and accommodations may also be coordinated by an undergraduate complainant’s director of student life (DSL) or by a dean at the Graduate School if the complainant is a graduate student.

Alternative Options

Where appropriate, alternative options may be available to an individual who feels that they have experienced sexual misconduct.  These may include targeted and/or broad-based training and educational programming for relevant individuals, groups, or departments and/or any other measure that will achieve the goals of the Sex Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct Policy.  Identifying potential alternative options depends on the facts and circumstances of each situation and are determined by the Title IX Coordinator on a case-by-case basis.  Individuals are encouraged to consult with the Director of Gender Equity and Title IX Administration Regan Crotty ( to discuss possible alternative options.

In addition, an individual may seek to consult the Ombuds Office regarding alternative options, including mediation.  Mediation is a voluntary, confidential, and informal process that people in conflict use to address a common problem with the help of an impartial mediator who does not decide, but helps the parties reach their own solution.  The Ombuds is an informal resource, in that it does not participate in any formal adjudicative or administrative procedure related to concerns brought to the Ombuds’ attention.  For more information, see services offered by the Ombuds Office, and/or contact the office.